While the influences behind the gameFI platform are too many to list, it is Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi's extensive work on "Flow" seems to rise above all else. Helping organizations improve employee engagement, business performance, and customer satisfaction, hinges on our ability to drive feelings of optimal experience in the workplace.
But what does that mean? Optimal experience? Csikszentmihalyi describes "Flow" as eliciting the following feelings:
- Completely involved in what we are doing -- focused, concentrated.
- A sense of ecstasy, defined as "being outside everyday reality."
- Great inner clarity -- knowing what needs to be done, and how well we are doing.
- Knowing that the activity is doable -- that our skills are adequate to the task.
- A sense of serenity -- no worries about oneself, and a feeling of growing beyond the boundaries of the ego.
- Timelessness -- thoroughly focused on the present, hours seem to pass by in minutes.
- Intrinsic motivation -- whatever produces flow becomes its own reward.
You can see Csikszentmihalyi's famous TED Talk below:
At gameFI, we focus employees on what matters with Leaderboards and Challenges. We help them escape the monotony of the day-to-day with Scenarios and Duels. We provide immediate feedback so employees know how they are doing on the metrics that matter. We avoid boredom and anxiety by only presenting Challenges and Scenarios that are "doable" at a player's skill level. We communicate only positive feedback to players and protect them from embarrassment with strict leaderboard rules (players can only see the 4 players below them). We introduce fun even in the most serious of industries.
Whether you use gameFI or not, we urge you to think about how you can apply the above attributes of "Flow" to your workplace. If you're ready to talk about how gameFI can use Feedback, Focus, and Fun to drive employee engagement, customer metrics, and business performance, let us know.